Replacing the multi award winning and five times What Hi-Fi? Product of the Year (RP3) was never going to be an easy task. It took our team of designers headed up by Rega's Roy Gandy, two years to develop the all new 'Planar 3' following the biggest re-design of the iconic 'three' model ever seen. Our team have worked tirelessly to improve every aspect of this turntable offering improved ergonomics, usability and first and foremost, sonic performance.The new ‘Planar 3’ is truly a new turntable for 2016 carrying over just two components from the previous model.
- Designed using the latest 3D CAD & CAM technology, the new RB330 is the culmination of more than 35 years of tonearm design experience. Featuring a brand new bearing housing, and our latest tonearm tube designed using intelligent redistribution of mass ensure this arm will exhibit fewer points of possible resonance. Extreme stability with almost friction free movement from the new high precision bearing assemblies guarantees to gather more information from your vinyl than ever before. Featuring a new bias assembly,
re-designed stiffer vertical bearing housing, integrated arm clip and an improved spring housing with easier to read numbers. Rega made, new low capacitance phono cable with Neutrik plugs, Improved lower friction, precision horizontal and vertical bearings New design 100g mild steel balance weight. Plinth
- High gloss acrylic, laminated plinth, stiffer and vastly improved appearance, ergonomically positioned power switch.
Two plinth finishes at launch: gloss black & gloss white Double braces
- Improved thicker 3mm phenolic bottom brace and new metalised skin phenolic top brace. Bearing housing
– Re-designed brass main hub central bearing, improved fit and construction reducing stress on the bearing itself. Sub platter
- Re-designed sub platter, improved accuracy and improved stiffness. Platter - New float glass ‘Optiwhite’ polished rim 12mm
– Improved accuracy in manufacture and stunning looks.
- New improved foot to increase stability and reduce vibration transfer. 24V motor
- Improved new motor control PCB with integration for the addition of TT-PSU for electronic speed change and improved advanced anti-vibration circuit (sold separately).
Motor cover tray with integrated cooling.
Rega has pioneered the use of lightweight rigid plinths. Clever use of lightweight particulate core with a highly rigid phenolic resin skin became the foundations of the high level of performance achieved by the now iconic original Planar range. The new Planar 3 takes this design philosophy to the next level. A lightweight acrylic laminated plinth strengthened using a new improved double brace system mounted specifically where the increased rigidity is required (between the tonearm mounting and the main hub bearing) which forms a structurally sound "stressed beam" assembly. This rigid plinth design prevents energy absorption and unwanted resonance, which will add unnatural distortions to the music. Equally, heavier mass can transfer more unwanted energy, such as motor or bearing noise directly into the rotating record.
The use of braces instead of the complete skin allows double thickness phenolic resin in these key areas while providing further weight reduction to the plinth which directly addresses the issue of mass absorption and unwanted energy transmission.
Hand assembled RB330 tonearm.
24v low noise motor / 12mm float glass platter.
Lightweight double braced plinth.
Precision main bearing.
Factory fitted Elys2 MM cartridge (optional).
Compatible with the TT-PSU electronic speed change and power supply box (optional).
Dimensions (lid closed) H 11.7 x W 44.7 x D 36 cm Weight 6kg